A simple and very tasty recipe "Beef Bourguignon". Bon Appetit!
Beef Bourguignon Recipe
Ingredients (serves 8)
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5kg beef chuck steak, trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
200g shortcut rindless bacon, halved lengthways, cut into 1cm strips
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon tomato paste
16 small pickling onions, peeled (see tip)
400g small button mushrooms
Garlicky green beans and creamy mash, to serve (see related recipes)
Method of cooking:
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy-based casserole dish over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in batches, for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Heat remaining oil in dish. Add brown onion and bacon. Cook, stirring, for 6 minutes or until onion has softened. Add garlic. Cook for 1 minute.
- Return beef and juices to pan. Add wine. Bring to the boil. Add stock and tomato paste.
- Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes, Add pickling onions and mushrooms.
- Cook, covered, for 30 minutes or until meat and onions are tender. Season with salt and pepper.Serve.
Enjoy this recipe, it is so famous in Burgundy. Here is a link to Bugundian Food & Wine that you might find fun and informative.